Re: Welcome to the Tom Baker Years

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

Postby tracy on November 1st, 2009, 12:07 pm

:D oh yeah thats what im waitn for the ones to come out hopefully they should be out for next year the ons that i havent got yet i have got on vidio which i transferd on to dvd so when the actull dvd comes out i will get them
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby pattie anne on November 1st, 2009, 9:05 pm

Me too. Have all of TOMs stories on DVDs but, MOST of them are copies from my VCR tapes so I can play them on my computer. And like everyone else, am waiting for the Official BBC DVDs (with all the nice extras).
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby tracy on November 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm

:D yeah cant wait
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Captain Rum on November 2nd, 2009, 4:23 am

I've got all of Tom's Dr Whos on dvd (29 have been released so far in the UK) and was watching the whole "Key To Time" boxset as a Halloween weekend treat, it's an excellent season and "The Stones Of Blood" is fantastic :P
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

Postby LadyFoxMcCloud on November 2nd, 2009, 5:39 am

I got into Dr. Who when my local PBS station showed Tom Baker era episodes. Loved the way he played the doctor! It was just so playful and fun even in peril. Truly brought me into the Who fandom.
For the love of God, can't we love one another just a little - that's how peace begins. We have so much to love each other for. We have such possibilities, my children. We could change the world. -The Lion in Winter
LadyFoxMcCloud

Postby tracy on November 2nd, 2009, 10:47 am

:D hi there lady foxy how are you hope your ok getting quite a few on here now yes i agree with you foxy
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Toothy Grin on November 2nd, 2009, 1:54 pm

Tom is a national treasure (a much overused phrase, but genuinely true in this case). I think the reason his Doctor was so successful and remains so popluar is that Tom is a genuine eccentric and just played the part as himself so the eccentricity came across as genuinely off-the-wall and unique, whereas the other actors who played the Doctor were not naturally eccentric so when they try to play it like that it seems forced (David Tennant I'm looking at you!). I've had the pleasure of meeting him briefly twice so far, the first when I was only 5 and he was still playing the role on TV - he turned up at a wolworths in full costume! And second in '97 when he signed my copy of his autobiography and offered me a jelly baby. What a moment!
My favourite Dr Who stories of Tom's are: City of Death, The Ark in Space, The Seeds of Doom, The Robots of Death and The Pirate Planet. :D
Toothy Grin

Postby pattie anne on November 2nd, 2009, 4:19 pm

Tom is a national treasure

Oh, absolutely. That FACT cannot be shouted from the rooftops often enough. But without taking any honour nor glory from merry olde' england, land of HIS birth; and being a fan from across the pond, it can also be stated; TOM is something of an international treasure too!
Last edited by pattie anne on December 6th, 2009, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And as for Tom Baker, well, I'll always be the Doctor,
won't I?" TOM BAKER
pattie anne

Postby tracy on November 2nd, 2009, 5:05 pm

:D welcome to the forum toothy grin nice to meet you i agree tom is a national treasure and more he is a top legend and should be knighted dont you agree
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby Captain Rum on November 2nd, 2009, 11:10 pm

Hi to all the new members :P

Another thing that helped Tom's 7 years become THE classic time for "Who" was that there were some fab writers too, Chris Boucher, Terrance Dicks, Douglas Adams and my favourite.....Robert Holmes, lots more too.
"Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhh....me laddie!"

"You damned courtiers to the Queen, you're nothing but lap dogs to a slip of a girl!"

Hope to meet a nautical cove or two online to chat about Tom, "Who", etc :-)
Captain Rum

Location: Yeovil....but only when my Tardis needs an overhaul.

PreviousNext

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years