The Keeper of Traken and Other Thoughts

Talk about Doctor Who when Tom played the Doctor (1974 - 1981).

Moderator: Moderator

The Keeper of Traken and Other Thoughts

Postby ThetaSigma on December 22nd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Just finished watching this four-part story last night, and watched the bonus features this afternoon.
The interviews are great especially with Geoffrey Beevers. Got me wondering is anyone else out here looking
forward to Tom's audio with Beevers for the upcoming audio series next year?
I thik both actors did a marvellous obw tih the script in Traken and am so looking forward to the audio.
Beevers, of course, has done a few audios already but this will be his first with Tom. I know people have been
unusually quiet about it but I am happy the Master is returning via the audio series. I was never quite happy with how the modern TV series portrayed the character so am hoping this performance will be more akin the classic series. What say you my friends?
ThetaSigma

Re: The Keeper of Traken and Other Thoughts

Postby tracy on December 23rd, 2011, 10:06 am

:D i always look forward to what ever tom does :D
tracy with out the E
tracy

Postby tch on December 23rd, 2011, 2:36 pm

Very much looking forward to another Tom vs Master story. Shame Tom didn't have more of them.
Would have loved to have seen Tom go up against Roger Delgado's Master.

Much as I love the new show, John Simms was horribly miscast as the Master.
tch

Postby ThetaSigma on February 29th, 2012, 3:05 am

Jolhn Simm oh what can I possibly say that I have not said about his Master?....just not my cup of tea. I prefer the classic styles. Tom needs more Master stories and I for one am so glad he has recorded a new story with Geoffrey Beavers for Big Finish Productions. I hear the story is actually covering tthe last two CD releases. How awesome is that? :lol:
ThetaSigma

Postby Prydonian on October 7th, 2012, 3:48 am

For me, The Deadly Assassin was the single best of all the Master stories, and I wish they had not worn the character to death in more recent years. I do like some of what Simm brought to the part even if scripts were not top notch,
but they have made him into a super villian who defies permanent death, unlike the Delgado-Pratt days. Even Ainley was subject to this in later appearances. Keeper is ok though bit not as great as Assassin.
Prydonian

Postby Krono's on October 14th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Prydonian wrote:For me, The Deadly Assassin was the single best of all the Master stories, and I wish they had not worn the character to death in more recent years. I do like some of what Simm brought to the part even if scripts were not top notch,
but they have made him into a super villian who defies permanent death, unlike the Delgado-Pratt days. Even Ainley was subject to this in later appearances. Keeper is ok though bit not as great as Assassin.

ROGER DELGADO WAS THE BEST MASTER!! :evil: :evil:
Krono's

Postby Prydonian on October 14th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Oh without a doubt, he was the best. I did not say he wasn't. i just like the Peter Pratt story as an epilogue of sorts to the Delgado serials. ;)
Prydonian

Postby paulaustin on October 25th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Roger Delgado would have been 63 at the time of Keeper had he lived. I cant imagine a man in his sixties continuing through the Davison/CBaker/McCoy years - Delgado would be 71 by the time of Survival .
paulaustin

Postby Graceful Leonard on October 25th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Re: the Master, just my opinion, but I don't think you could have had Delgado with either Davison/McCoy. His presence would have wiped out both and made the doctor very much secondary, particularly McCoy. Colin Baker had a lot more presence, even if the show was in terminal decline by then, so he would probably have worked well with dear Roger.
"A man's work is nothing but this slow trek to rediscover, through the detours of art, those two or three great and simple images in whose presence his heart first opened."
Graceful Leonard

Postby tch on October 25th, 2012, 6:14 pm

While I think each Doctor should have his 'own' Master, it would have been nice to have one Roger/Tom story to kind of pass the mantle as we got Anthony Ainily coming on as the Master right before we got a new Doctor.
tch

Return to Doctor Who - the Tom Baker years